I gakked most of this straight from Keira Marcos with her permission.
1. You may download and/or print my work for your personal use. You may make eBooks for your personal use. Do not distribute my works, in any form, or offer them for download.
Note about book binding: Do not ever take my work to a professional book binder, even if it’s for your personal use. In order to use a professional, you need to have copyright release, which I can’t give you since I don’t own any of the canon elements.
2. You may play with my concepts and ideas, and borrow my OCs, but DO NOT claim to have written a sequel or prequel to my story. That’s not acceptable.
If you borrow my original characters (OCs), I expect full attribution in your author notes. I’m not going to chase people down for using my ideas without credit, but I’ll get cranky if you don’t give full credit for the characters of mine that you’re borrowing.
Special Note about Emergence: As I state on the Emergence page, this is an open universe in the sense that I give blanket permission for you to use my world building, concepts, and ideas to craft your OWN story. You may take your pairing or your fandom and fuse it with my AU world building. You don’t need my permission to do this, but credit would be awesome as well as a link back to this site. However, please do not assume that because you wrote in my ‘verse, that I will consider your story canon. Someone else could write the same fandom as you with a different pairing, and I’d be fine with both.
Also, to save us both headaches, please note in your author notes that your story is written under my universe permissions but is NOT officially part of my Emergence canon.
You may NOT, however, write a for-profit novel in the Emergence verse. That’s unacceptable.
3. Do not remix or rewrite my work. Do not write ‘missing scenes.’
Consider carefully if you’re using my my ideas or concepts, AND playing in my verse, AND using my OC’s… you’re close to a rewrite and that’s not okay.
4. Do not repost or archive my work. It lives here, and some stories are also posted on AO3. That’s it.
5. No fanzines. Ever. Don’t ask. And if you write in my AU, I’d ask that you not put that story in a zine either.
6. The art on my site belongs to the people who created it. If you’d like to use their art for any reason, you’ll need to contact them directly.
7. Podfics. Please contact me before embarking on the creation of a podfic. I’ll probably be okay with it, but no point in risking overlap because of a failure of communication.
8. You may not, in any way, make money off of anything I produce or in any way related to my stories; including art and podfics if they’re available.
If I’ve inspired you, crediting me and leaving a comment letting me know about it would be great. I’m not going to chase you down and chastise you if you don’t.