Title: These Small Hours
Author: Jilly James
Fandom: NCIS, Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis
Genre: Drama, Family, Romance
Relationship: Main: Anthony DiNozzo/Jethro Gibbs. Background and minor pairings listed on Notes Tab.
Warnings: Major Character Death (sort of, and it’s temporary), Canon-typical Violence, Explicit Sex
Author Note: Please see the tab about OCs, pairing, and timeline
Challenge: Rough Trade / NaNoWriMo November 2019, The Divergent Path (canon divergence challenge during National Novel Writing Month)
Beta: Thank you, Ladyholder. Special thanks to Keira for helping me plot this story.
Word Count: 66k
Summary: When Tony DiNozzo was eight years old, Oma Desala set him on the path to ascension. Twenty-three years later, after contracting the plague, he takes the final step on the path. The loss of Tony changes everything for Gibbs and ultimately for Stargate Command and the city of Atlantis.
- Begins at the end of season 2 of NCIS (SWAK). Season 1/2 of SGA and Season 8/9 of SG-1.
- Matthew Sheppard is an original character created by Keira Marcos and borrowed with her permission. He’s only mentioned in this story but, in my head, I always treat him like a precious cinnamon roll.
- Michael Weppler is an OC of mine who first appeared in De Novo. In that story, he was retired from the Navy and became an NCIS agent. In this story, he’s an active-duty Marine General. (See my hands waving…)
- I first saw Dr. Biro named Alicia in Trust Issues by Ellywinkle. The name stuck. Headcanon accepted, Elly. Keira named Stackhouse & Markham. I refuse to fight the inevitable.
- This is a departure from my preferred pairing for Tony—meaning, I prefer him with almost anyone but Gibbs, but it felt natural and good for this particular storyline. Also, I can get on the Gibbs/Tony ship if it’s early series. The relationship got pretty toxic later in the show, and it’s hard to apply the author handwave of destiny that liberally anymore when there are so many other wonderful alternatives for me to play with. That’s the long way of saying, I enjoyed this story, it really worked for me, but don’t expect a resurgence of Tony/Gibbs fic.
If you’re someone who needs to know every single pairing mentioned in the story, here they are:
- Tony DiNozzo/Jethro Gibbs
- Rodney McKay/John Sheppard
- Daniel Jackson/Jack O’Neill
- Ronon Dex/Matthew Sheppard
- Miko Kusanagi/David Sheppard
- Carolyn Lam/Patrick Sheppard
- Kate Todd/Cameron Mitchell
- Evan Lorne/Steven Caldwell
- Tim McGee/Alicia Biro
- Marcus Stackhouse/Jason Markham
The story mood was heavily inspired by Little Wonders by Rob Thomas, and the story title came from the song lyrics. (Link to Lyrics)
Playlist & Podcast